Monday, November 5, 2012

Light a Candle

I stumbled across a great blog from Women Living Well Ministries while I was browsing Pinterest yesterday and I had to re-blog!  It is the Making Your Home a Haven Challenge.  It just started, so this is a great time for other lovely homemakers to join in.  This especially struck me as something my wonderful sister-in-law may enjoy!


"Go buy an extra large candle and light a candle everyday in your home. I will be starting mine in the morning! But you can start yours at dinner time. Do what makes sense for your family. I will be placing mine in the kitchen – the main hub of my home. Each time the candle catches your eye, say a prayer for peace in your home.  "

Proverbs 14:1- The wise woman builds her house, but with her own hands the foolish one tears hers down.

I have had candles going in the house since it started to get chilly out.  I love my Scentsy warmer, but there is something cozy and comforting about the glow of a candle.  I currently have several scents going all at the same time, haha, vanilla in the office, apple cinnamon in the entry way, and pumpkin spice that travels with me between kitchen and bedroom, and a stronger "autumn walk" in the bathroom.  After I read this post, however, it gave each candle meaning and purpose far beyond smell and sight.  They are now constant reminders of how important peace is in our home.  It is easy to get stressed out and put too much emphasis on housework that we forget the little things we can do to REALLY make home a special haven for our families.  A quick little prayer for peace can really keep you grounded throughout the day.  

Scents are really important for our families too.  Thinking back to childhood, what do you remember most?  Often it is the smells: cookies in Grandma's kitchen maybe?  Picking tomatoes fresh from the garden is a strong happiness smell for me. :)  My mother-in-law (who I consider an expert in child/family services) has shared many thoughts/research/theories on children and attachment with me.  One little conversation I remember is about how she intentionally bakes cinnamon buns for the family not just because they are tasty but for attachment purposes (her boys teased her about trying to brainwash them).  My mathematical interpretation:  Cinnamon Buns = happiness.  IF cinnamon buns = mom... THEN mom = happiness!!  But it is true, we want our children to have positive experiences that engage all their senses.  Years from now its not going to be how clean the kitchen floor was (for 20 whole minutes) that the kids will remember... but if my little man walks into the house of someone burning a pumpkin spice candle... I want him to have pleasant peaceful memories of home.  


No comments:

Post a Comment