Saturday, January 12, 2013

Deployment Diary: Day 1

We sent Kyle off yesterday for a short deployment.  We actually said goodbye and dropped him off at work around lunch time.  Munchkin was napping and didn't get to say bye bye though.  Luckily some of the other girls were going to the airfield in the evening to send the guys off so we tagged along and Munchkin was able to say his goodbyes too.

It is hard to tell how much the little man understands, but I can tell he is stressed out by Kyle's absence.  I think 2012 was hard on the little guy.  Kyle would be home for a few weeks then we wouldn't see him again for over a month.  We would drive out to visit him and the little guy would wake up in a hotel room and suddenly Daddy was there... then just as quickly he was gone again for another month or more.  As much as it sucked that he was gone, some of my best memories from the entire year were the trips to visit him in North Carolina and when he met us for a weekend in Gatlinburg.  Little man seems to have developed a lot more since he turned 2 though and he really got used to Daddy being home by bedtime or at least by the time he sneaks into our bed during the night.

At least now we can talk to him about what is going on.  I'm not sure if he understands distance or time, but he does know Daddy went away.  If you ask him where Daddy is, he will say "airplane."  I think I want to make some sort of visual countdown with a picture of Kyle and an airplane.  He really caught on to the Christmas countdown to Santa calendar so I think if I make something similar it might click for him.

Our first night without Kyle was difficult.  I didn't have much energy and we got back from the airfield late so I let Munchkin have a tv night in bed with me.  Unfortunately he never did wind down so I had to turn the tv off with him screaming.  After we finally fell asleep it seemed as though we woke up at least every half hour with him kicking (literally, kicking me in the ribs) and screaming.  Usually he sleeps like a rock.  The night before Kyle left he had a rough sleep too due to a fever but he didn't feel hot this time so I don't know if it was because he was upset, having bad dreams, or just didn't feel good.

Our day wasn't too bad.  I tired to get the house clean, it looks... presentable.  Crazy how an entire day can be dedicated to housework yet you still have so much to do!   Kyle sent an e-mail checking in so that made me feel a little better.  Munchkin was not in good spirits though.  He was at my heels all day saying "Mommy hold me." Yes, this is sweet... and yes I try to stop what I am doing as much as I can to hold him and play with him... but this was literally the entire day.  I couldn't go to the bathroom!  In addition to this, everything he did was either naughty or resulted in a huge temper tantrum.  Toys were flying pretty much all day.  He even was getting upset during bath time which is really unusual for him.  And his phrase for the day?  "Daddy back NOW!" and "Leave me alone Mommy" He even called Kyle on his banana.  I caught him with the banana up to his ear saying "Hi Daddy, bye Daddy."  He also asked for Nana and Papo a lot today too.  He is obviously going through some emotions so hopefully with enough snuggles he will relax.

Little Kyle isn't the only one acting up though.  The dogs have been depressed and hiding from me all day.  I have had to drag them outside and right now Jack is just sitting in the hall whining.  The only little guy who is acting normal around here is Sox who is fast asleep here on the desk.

As for me, I just have a mixture of feelings... mostly anxiety.  I will probably feel better once I talk to Kyle on the phone a few times.  The time should really go by pretty fast.  The most difficult part is just making it through the first few days while everyone adjusts.  I am trying to come up with a few projects that I can work on mostly organizing, decorating, and learning to sew.  I will be excited to hang out with the girls once everyone gets settled.  I am also very lucky to have a great workout buddy that called to check in on me.  Weekdays are definitely going to be easier because I can spend some me time at the gym in the mornings.  If I remember correctly, last year I usually had to make it a point to plan something for munchkin and I to do Saturday mornings like take him swimming at the gym.  That way between the gym, church, and our saturday activity our mornings should be pretty well booked. :)  Anyway, typing has been good to keep me distracted tonight while I wait for my comforter to finish up in the dryer.  I need to go make the bed now so Jack will stop freaking out.  I think he is whining because since the bed isn't made he doesn't have anywhere to go to sleep... yeah... as if he doesn't have a dog bed....

If your read this Kyle, we love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment